Thursday, September 29, 2011

Prayers, Please...

As you may know, Jeffrey has a lump in his right arm that has been there for a while.  At his well-child check this month, the doctor felt it and said it was most likely a "fatty tumor", and nothing to worry about.  To be on the safe side, though, she referred us to the pediatric surgeon upstairs. 

At our visit with the surgeon, she asked a bunch of questions, felt the mass, and ordered an ultrasound for his arm.  We had the ultrasound last week on Thursday.

Yesterday, I received a call from the surgeon, Dr. Taylor, with the results, which are inconclusive at this time.  She said it does not feel like a fatty tumor to her, but the US indicated it could be.  It is not calcified, it is solid with perhaps a little liquid in it, and it is not vascular.  It is not a hemangioma or a lymphoma.  It could be benign, or not.  Beyond that, she really couldn't (or wouldn't) say.

She did strongly recommend surgery to remove the tumor, however.  I know, I know, she's a surgeon so she will want to cut.  I did ask about doing a biopsy first, but they would have to put Jeffrey under general anesthesia for that due to his age, so they really may as well remove the entire tumor anyway.  He is scheduled for surgery (outpatient) on October 10 at 8:15 AM.  We won't have pathology reports until Wednesday, the 12th.

As any sane person does these days, I spent time yesterday googling tumors in the arm.  Much of the things I read are a bit worrisome to me.  For instance, calcification in a tumor is usually good, because they are mostly benign when calcification is present.  Jeff does not have calcification.  I am scared to death that he has a malignant tumor and will have to have further medical procedures.  I am not sure how this momma can handle those words.

All of that to say this:
Please, if you are a firm believer in our God, or have even an inkling of suspicion that there might be one, please please please offer your prayers for Jeffrey.  I am praying for a positive outcome for him with all my heart and soul.  I know God is listening, and hope he grants my petition.  Please add yours to mine, and ask your friends to do the same if you are so inclined. 

In the mean time, I will be holding my boy ever tighter, because I love him so much.  I hate that he has to go though this, and wish I could do it for him.  Thanks in advance for your prayers.  I will feel better knowing we are not the only ones praying for my baby.  Love to you all.

Jess

5 comments:

Beckie Russell said...

Jess, I'm so sorry...I didn't know. I hope everything goes well, and I'll be adding my positive energy to the mix of prayers. Love and hugs. Wish I could offer more :)

Jennie C. said...

We will definitely be saying extra prayers for Jeffrey. I didn't know about this, either. :-(

Love you.

Mommy said...

Stay as strong as you can Jess. I truly feel he will be fine.

As we discussed yesterday, Doctors have to cover all their bases. If she has even an inkling of doubt, she must check out everything. That is how they do things today.

Also, did you ask her if blood tests would suggest a problem. As you know when the body is fighting something the blood is sometimes the first place it show up.

I wish I could be there to help. I know how scary these things are and it does not matter how old someone is.

Hugs, love and prayers are with you and Paul and the children.

Mommy

Jessica Davison said...

Thank you very much. I wish doctors weren't so afraid to say what they are thinking these days. It would be nice to know the top things she is thinking, so I know how worried I need to be. As with all things, fear of the unknown is what is really getting to me. I do have faith that things will be ok. It's lovely to know that you all are praying for my baby. Mommy, I didn't think to ask about blood work. That may be part of the pre-op stuff they will do, but I'm not sure. I'll have to find out. Love you all, and I'll keep you filled in to the goings on around here.

Sandie said...

Jess, I haven't checked here in a long time because you haven't posted often and I'm so sorry that I didn't know! Hugs, Love and prayers for you, your whole family, and his doctors! Love you! Wish I was closer to give you a big hug in person...