Sunday, September 4, 2011

As Good as the Real Deal

There are few things in this world that only the name brand will do...Grape Nuts, Bounty paper towels, and Windex are 3 favorites of mine.  I have never found a suitable replacement for any of these.  Until yesterday, that is.

No more Windex purchases in this house!  I am making my own.  Wanna know the "recipe"?
     1/8 cup ammonia
     1/2 cup rubbing alcohol
     1 quick squirt dish soap
     enough water to fill up the old Windex bottle

Let me tell you, this stuff works great!  I tested it out on a few of the many windows in this house, and they sparkle!  My mix would have even been blue if I had used regular ammonia.  However, my blue dish soap mixed with my yellow lemon ammonia, and made green glass cleaner.  Works for me though!

Now, if you could help me out with the other to things on my list, that'd be great.  And no, Nutty Nuggets are not  suitable replacement for Grape Nuts. 

2 comments:

Beckie Russell said...

For a long time, Shop Rite's brand of paper towels was a suitable replacement for Bounty. Not quite as soft and absorbent, but pretty close. They've changed their "formula" though, and now they're hard and stiff and not at all appealing. So I went back to Bounty. You're right about that, though. No substitute. As for Grape Nuts, it's not even worth trying to find a replacement :)

Mommy said...

I am glad you are posting here. It is nice to be able to keep up with you.

Love you all and hugs and kisses to my grandbabies (I will call them that when I am 90 and they are...still my grandbabies!!!
Mommy