Saturday, September 10, 2011

On Cloth Diapers...

I really love using cloth diapers.  No stinky diapers in my trash, no diaper rash on cute little bums, and no money flying out of my wallet every couple of weeks.  Rather, we have two loads of laundry, 2 to 3 times a week, bums adorned with cute little covers, and a one time expense.

So, what do I use?  I actually have two different diapering systems, but they work well together, too.  First, I have prefolds that I currently use on Peter's little butt.  I got them when Jeff was a baby, and they are now on baby #2!  The difference now is that I use Snappi's with Peter, while I used pins with Jeff.  I'll tell you, Snappi's make cloth diapering so much easier.  I don't know why I didn't get them with Jeff.  I have Bummy Whisper covers, too.

With Jeffrey, I use BumGenius one-size pocket diapers.  We have 18 of them, and they are the most awesome diapering system ever.  Just throw an absorbent layer in the middle, and your diaper is ready to go!  I can even use the large prefolds I have in the pockets for overnight, when he tends to get a little wetter than normal. 
I'll have to post some pictures of their cute little butts in these cloth diapers. Peter in particular looks cute because he is so small and the diapers look so big on him.

Cleaning them is no problem, either.  I just toss the diapers into separate pails as we change them.  On wash day, I dump a pail into cold water with some detergent in the washer.  They soak for about a half hour.  Then, I empty the water and fill the washer with hot water and detergent.  I pour plain white vinegar in the softener dispenser, set the washer for an extra rinse, and let it run!  If the weather is nice, I hang the diapers to dry on the clothes line.  If not, into the dryer they go!  It's as easy as that.


Oh, I also use cloth wipes, and my own homemade spray to keep them clean.  The cloth wipes are great, and you don't feel bad when you use multiples on one diaper because you just wash them!  Our spray consists of water, a little baby wash, about 8 drops of tea tree oil, and some lavender oil for a nice fragrance.  All of that goes in a spray bottle I got at the Dollar Tree.  The essential oils last a really long time, too.  My two small bottles lasted 2 years!

For this truly minimal effort, I have happy baby bottoms, a happy wallet, and laundry that I actually don't mind "folding" because it really involves no folding at all. 

No comments: