Sunday, June 1, 2008

New Beginnings

The school year is officially over as of tomorrow. Students had their last day on Friday, and there is nothing left for me to do except pack a few more boxed into my car and hand in my keys. I should be finished with the year by 9:00 tomorrow morning.

Thus said, it is time for a new beginning. A new summer means spending lots of time with my children, unfettered with planning for next weeks class. It means keeping my house as clean as it should be, because I have nothing to stop me from doing so. It means cooking good meals on a nightly basis, because there will be no getting home at 5:00. It also means setting up new habits so life will be easier when the new school year begins.

I love new beginnings.

1 comment:

Beckie Russell said...

Here here. I always loved teaching because it was a job that had closure to it. Unlike other jobs, you had definite timelines and an end to the work. Not that I didn't like the work, but that you could start with a clean slate. I considered every marking period to be a "new year" so to speak. That's when I would change things that weren't working for me or my students. It's when I would resolve to change my habits. It didn't always work out, since changing habits takes a lot of work, but it was nice to know I had the opportunity.

Enjoy the time with your kids and yourself, and good luck making those changes.