Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Jaundiced

Jeffrey has jaundice. On Sunday, I noticed that his skin and the whites of his eyes were pretty yellow. I called the pediatrician, and she said they would check him at his appointment on Monday. So, at his appointment, the doctor agreed that he was jaundiced, and sent us to the hospital for lab work to check his bilirubin levels.

At the hospital, the man running the lab was absolutely awful. He was slow and a bit clumsy. It took him 10 minutes (which seemed like hours) to get 2 vials of blood from Jeffrey's heel. I whispered in Jeffrey's ear the entire time, tears running down my face because Jeff was screaming the entire time. He cried so hard, he fell asleep. I felt absolutely awful. Paul said he was getting really angry at the man because he seemed so clumsy and slow with our baby. If Jeff ever has to do that again, that man will not touch my baby. Surely it could have been completed much faster.

Anyway, that seemed to throw Jeffrey off all last night. He was up for 4 hours straight, crying much of the time. He ate really well, then seemed to have a gas bubble or something that was making him uncomfortable. Finally he fell asleep around 4 am.

Today, I will be napping with Jeffrey. We are both pretty tired.

We go back to the doctor on Thursday to check on his jaundice levels. The doctor's think he will be OK, but didn't want it to be a potential problem. Not sure what they will do if it is not getting better, though.

Sorry if I am rambling...I am pretty tired right now!

3 comments:

Jennie C. said...

Sorry to hear he's sick. Hope he's improving. :-(

Beckie Russell said...

I hope he's doing well. I thought that sunlight was good for jaundice...something about the vitamin d? should check on that. I seem to remember them putting a baby that I'm related to (can't recall which one) under some lights with a blindfold on for some time each day while he/she was in the hospital to combat jaundice...I could be wrong, though. Love you and hope you're doing better tomorrow.

Mommy said...

It was Josie Bear. She was so little anyway and then to see her with her "sunglasses look" blindfold on was pathetic.

They usuall do light treatment for little ones.

Love you and will call you later today to see how he is doing.
Mommy