Tuesday, July 22, 2008

FYI

Just wanted to let you all know that we are still alive here. Though I do not have a "job" for next school year, we are making the best of the situation. I am working on starting a home based business. What kind of business, you may wonder?

Well, it seems to me that many people enjoy homemade crafts, but most of these people either do not like to or don't know how to make things. So, my idea is to create some crafts, such as knit and crocheted items, as well as some other items, and sell them online. I plan to have items for baby, children, and adults, as well as holiday and home decor items. I am working on a web site to sell things from, as well.

We are still working on a name, however. Does anyone have any ideas? It needs to be usable as a URL as well.

I have been working hard on creating items to sell over the past couple of days. I have a few already, too! I am hoping this idea works well, but we will see what time brings.

In addition, I plan to substitute teach this school year. That should keep me pretty busy!

4 comments:

Jennie C. said...

Instead of starting your own website, you might want to look at Etsy.com. It's already pretty heavily advertised as a place to get handmade goods, so you'd be more likely to have success. Look around and see what is already selling and you'll get a good idea of where to go. I don't think there's much of a market for crocheted baby blankets, though. The market is already saturated with busy grandmas and you really can't get enough money for them to recoup your costs.

The Davison Family said...

Thanks for the idea!

Sandie said...

Hey,

Having some fairly recent experience in the area of starting a business (and living off of it, I might add) I'm wondering what led you to this idea and what research you've done about it.

I think, because I have a lot to say about it, I might post something soon over at my blog about it, or you can feel free to give me a call if you want to chat. Who knows. Little sister just might actually be able to help out!

Love ya!

Sandie said...

Hey,

How are your plans going?