Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Why the Pricey Vacuum?

Actually, with 2 dogs who shed alot, 2 children who make messes, red clay outside, and a cat who is a little sickly, a cheaper vacuum did not really seem to be a viable option. If I had to purchase a new $150 vacuum every 2 years, I would easily outspend this purchase. Plus, I do not think it would work as well on all of our messes! :)

Thanks for the concern, though.

Beckie, we did cash in the annuity. We used it for various and sundry things that we "had to have", and it disappeared rather quickly. We did manage to pay down a little debt with it, however, especially after Christmas.

We have definitely done some "STUPID" things with money in the past. Paul and I are working together on this now, though, and we are both determined to be DEBT FREE as soon as possible!

3 comments:

The Davison Family said...

I suppose I could have gotten the cheap vacuum, but after reading so many negative reviews of less expensive models (many lose suction rather quickly, break down fast, overheat before you can clean the house, etc.), I decided the more costly vacuum would make the most sense.

Jennie C. said...

We were just wondering. :-)

I remember when Davey and I were paying down our bills, we didn't actually by anything new! We made friends with the thrift store, a friendship that has stood us in good stead. After about a year of zero discretionary spending, he took me on a shopping "spree"; I think I spent $40. :-) I still have all the things I bought that day, too.

You always have to make a trade off. In this case, you chose a vacuum, and you had to give up something else to get it...like maybe paying a bill off a month sooner. It's really, really hard to change the way you think about money. I know! I still struggle with the whole wants vs. needs thing!

Sandie said...

Of course the reviews on cheaper vacuums are worse than the pricey ones. They're cheaper! lol. But they get you through until you really can go for the better model without making any sacrifice. There shouldn't be the need to choose between a better vacuum and paying down debt. According to the plan, debt is the priority. And as far as vacuum prices go, I was thinking more along the lines of the $40 one I had for three and a half years. Only thing I had to do was change the belt on it every 6 - 8 months or so. $.50 part. Not bad.

The one I have now? It was free!

Now, the one you got was probably the best value for the money. I don't deny that at all. And I bet it does a better job than my $40 one ever did.