Thursday, May 1, 2008

I'm back...

Sorry it has been so long. It seems like we never stop running around here!

Well, it is May now, and Mandy is way excited because her birthday is coming up! She can not wait to turn 6. So, I wanted to share what we are doing for her birthday this year.

Paul and I have decided that the children will each have $100 to spend on their birthdays. That has always been our "budget" for birthdays (yeah right). This year, though, the kids have both decided that they want cash. The only stipulation is that their cake and party must come out of the $100. Thus, if they want a big party, they will not have a lot of gifts. Likewise, the cheaper their extras cost, the more cash they have to spend. Same with the cake - I can make one cheap, or we can purchase one for them - their choice.

Needless to say, they are both planning simple parties, with just a friend or two sleeping over, a cake from Mom, and as much cash as they can get their hands on! They are eagerly anticipating spending their dough - Mandy has several things picked out already! I can't believe how excited they are this year about the birthday.

2 comments:

Beckie Russell said...

Hey! Sounds like a good idea. And maybe a time to take Jennie's suggestion about teaching them to save some of it, spend some of it and "give back" some of it. Like she said, if you want them to learn good money habits, you have to teach them.

I hope they enjoy their birthdays as much as they think they will!

Jennie C. said...

Why, I wonder, do they want cash?

I keep a running list of things the kids ask for and they know I'm going to pick and choose off of it, and maybe throw in a surprise or two, to boot. :-) To give up the joy of giving and the excitement of receiving... I can't imagine it.